Wednesday, March 17, 2010

One of my favorite blogs to follow is http://finslippy.typepad.com/. There may be a better way to post that but that’s how I know to do it. Alice is a professional blogger and writer and I truly enjoy her humor. She is considered a “mommyblogger” by the blogging world. I just like her view of life. She posted today about a lady at the gym that chose to be mad at her for what was in her opinion “no good reason”.
The mad for no good reason strikes a chord with me. I see it all around us today. I think it starts with folks not looking you in the eye when you speak. They don’t want the contact. They are afraid you will see inside. They might have to explain themselves or something. Folks go from zero to “bite your head off” monster at the speed of light. Their expectation is that you want something they aren’t willing to give.
The bible tells us to be slow to anger. I had to work on that when I first heard it. It’s a choice that you make ahead of time that you PREFER to not be mad. Those of us who live in the south are familiar with Bubba and the guys who will fight because you told them their mother wears Army boots. I now that sounds silly to a lot of folks, but it really does happen around here. Now, I know my mother. She does not wear Army boots. Bubba’s intent is to start a fight. But if I am not offended by the prospect of Mom’s ugly footwear, no fight happens. While I run in a pretty restricted crowd (sheltered) I still have to assume that no one I know is going to offend me on purpose. That is not to say I cannot be offended, it is just that it is not my first response.
How about you? Are you easily offended? By those closest to you? Talk about it. See if you can stop the mad.
Unclewesty, over and out.

2 Comments:

At 7:21 AM, Blogger Leslie said...

This is probably the largest of albatrosses around my neck - anger/temper/irritation. Part human nature. Part being McKee's kid. I used to let it get the best of me regularly, but one day I decided I didn't want to live my life mad at people. (And as my mother said to me a katrillion times growing up, "You being mad doesn't hurt anyone but you.") So I actively work everyday to not choose anger. Do I always succeed? Not even close, but I do spend WAY more of my days choosing happiness and understanding than I do choosing anger. It's an ongoing process, but a battle I'm choosing to wage within myself. :)

 
At 4:19 PM, Blogger Mandapooh said...

I don't have near the struggle I used to. I like to think that's something I actually learned how to apply - not being mad all the time. However, just in the last few weeks, I've seen from the outside looking in how miserable it can be for someone to be angry all the time. It makes me want to work that much harder to make the choice to see the good in others.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home