Sunday, November 15, 2009

Out’ta the past!
For Judy Bug!
Tried this last night but I couldn’t make it come out right. Forty year old memories can be a little fuzzy around the edges.
Summer of 1969 I was stationed at NAS Coronado for a school before going to Moffett Field and on to Hawaii. Mom and Dad came out to California for a reason I cannot remember except that it was probably an excuse to come to San Diego to see Nan and me too. Anyway, one night I got invited to dinner with Mom, Dad and Nan in Coronado. I don’t remember where we went, not part of the story. After dinner we went bar hopping ( I wasn’t 21 yet) and I didn’t get carded I’m assuming because I was with them. We wound up in a piano bar with me serenading everyone with the old standards (Sinatra, Martin, etc). I was very uncomfortable getting drunk with my parents and a woman who had fed me peanut butter and jelly since I was two. At some point they took me back to my barracks and I crashed. I don’t think I ever got to see your mom again after that. I shipped out to another school in Northern California and then went on to Barber’s Point, HI.
Like Ric (Zipidee), to think back on all the times we went places together as a crowd (we were our own crowd) and the fun we had. It is hard to think that all of that was MORE than 40 years ago. Those kinds of relationships just don’t go away. You will always be a part of my family. I do hope you get to come to Mom’s next summer. It would be fun to bring these stories up and let Mom fill in the details for us. For now,
Uncle Westy, over and out!

1 Comments:

At 9:40 PM, Blogger unclewesty said...

I talked to Mom after I wrote this. As expected she read it. I asked how she remembered it. Her details are better than my details but its my story and I'm sticking to it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home