Sunday, December 20, 2009

I just thought I was through!

The silver tree with the color wheel base! I don’t remember how long we had that one but we were sure cool for a while!

Ric reminded me about the construction paper ring chains and the threaded popcorn. I think that was in Maine.

My first Christmas away from home in the Navy. Christmas in Honolulu! You would have thought they invented it. There were lights everywhere. Santa Clause in a Hawaiian Shirt. Palm trees with Christmas lights all around and up in the tops.

Christmas in Okinawa. Japanese people, Shinto religion, follow the money. The U.S. held the island under treaty, the American Dollar was the official currency and Santa reigned. At least in Naha and everywhere there was an American base. By the way, the worlds largest drive in A&W Root Beer stand is in Naha.

Mandy as Mary in the Christmas plays at Lighthouse Church when she was in elementary school. I have forgotten how many years she got to be Mary, but it was just assumed.

The year we did the Christmas story at the Lighthouse and used real animals. A real donkey and several sheep of which I think only one made it to the play. While unloading them at the church, several of them made a run for it down Hwy 31. There were reports for a couple of days after of sightings of the stray sheep but we never caught them. I didn’t chase them but I remember watching several of the guys running WAY behind the sheep.

Christmas breakfast at Brother Charles’ house. He would have fried up at lease one ham, many pounds of smoked sausage, many pounds of bacon, a huge pot of grits and fried eggs to order. Mrs. Burgess’ cat-head biscuits and plenty of juice and coffee. He invited just about anyone he was related to and most of those he went to church with. I qualified both ways so I never missed. He got great satisfaction from being the cook and serving everyone.

Maybe more later. Merry Christmas everyone.
Uncle Westy over and out!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home