Tuesday, November 18, 2008

I intended to make this a reply to Zippidee but thought better of it and put in my page. Here’s to ya.
I remember specifically asking Dad the deep question of my lifetime back when I was about 30. I was out of the Navy and trying to make a living for my family. I was one of the “have nots” at time. The question was “ what makes one man’s days work worth $55.00 and another’s $20,000.00?” I didn’t really thing Dad would have and answer but I wanted him to know I knew I was on the short end of the stick. He didn’t give me an answer. He believed, as Fogged does, that if you do your share and keep your nose clean, you will be ok.
Since that time I have been in a position to make the decision that determines what makes one man’s day worth more than another. In more cases than I want to admit, the difference is usually the expectation of the man being paid. It is a measure of self worth. I know there will be those who disagree with me, but I am sharing my experience.
The kid that showed up with his clothes half falling off, no manners, and an attitude that says “I know your aren’t going to hire me, but my parole officer said I had to talk to you anyhow,” just might get hired. His buddy that came in dressed properly, yes sir, no sir, will get hired to do the same job, no better skills, but he will get $2.00 an hour more.
I have seen grown men who are down on their luck, lacking confidence, back into an interview hoping for a chance but not believing that they deserve a chance or that they might actually contribute something, when asked how much they want to be paid, give an answer that you and they know they can’t live with. The guy that has a job, wants a raise to move and knows he can do what you need, asks for and gets 30% more.
Currently I am working with a bunch of painters. The lead guy makes about $15 and hour. His helper makes about $8 an hour. I have four of these crews that last week painted 24 apartments. They were all glad to have the work and got a respectable paycheck. I was responsible to see that they had an apartment to go to each morning and that the supplies they needed were available so they didn’t have to go to the paint store or deal with a property manager. I inspected their work and billed the work. I never opened a bucket, I didn’t get nasty and I made more than they did several times over. What was my talent? Knowing that if I can get paid some for what everyone does, I make more money. Doesn’t matter what I am doing. As long as I can get a piece of everyones hour, I come out ahead.
I’m still in Fogged’s 95% but I make a living. Those guys in the 1%, they don’t think like we do. They don’t live like we do. I would like their money, but I don’t think I want to swap places because I don’t want to make the choices they make. They make “business” decisions without regard for how it affects the people who work for them. They make “strategic decisions” without caring about the side effects.
I don’t have the answers, I don’t even know the right questions. ‘taint fair! Nope, but it is life.

1 Comments:

At 1:24 PM, Blogger Zipidee said...

Dad & I were, to say the least, at polar opposites politically which I’m sure surprises no one. We did come to an understanding though about our politics, we agreed never to discuss them :~) Miss Dad a lot!
Only part of this blog I can disagree with is the last two words. It’s not Life. You’re born and you die. That’s Life. The Political/Financial system that we live in is what we allow to exist. We have many avenues to make changes. My Blog on Nov 16th was a warning that I can see the most radical method becoming reality. Losing everything is easy when you’ve nothing to lose.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home