Monday, January 19, 2009

Ranch Wagon

Christmas 1955. We came home to Alabama for Christmas. I do not remember the details. I was only 6. I do remember the “Ranch Wagon”. I do not remember any car prior to the “Ranch Wagon”. After that I was more aware of what we drove but I remember we bought a brand new 1956 Ford Ranch Wagon from Richard Lawrence at the Ford place and took it back to Maine. What made it a “Ranch Wagon”? Why the seat covers of course. They were sort of leather covered (two tone, light tan and brown)vinyl and they had cattle brands alllllllllllll over. The only one I remember is the rocking R. A large R on a rocking horse base. The other extraordinary thing about this car was the color. To politely describe it, it was called a “flesh kind of color”. All of the kids (at least the boys) called it …..pink. But that was alright because it was a “Ranch Wagon”.
Some time later it became the first car in the neighborhood and probably the state of Maine to sport a seat belt in the back seat. I say seat belt because there was only one. It went all the way across the back seat, meeting in the middle and fastening with a genuine airplane seatbelt buckle. Not only was the buckle genuine airplane equipment, the belt was genuine P2V-7 seat belt material. Dad had talked one of the parachute riggers in the squadron into making him a belt he could use to keep us all in place in the back seat. Seat belts did not show up in production cars for 6-8 years after we got ours and they only held one person at a time. Dad was resourceful. There will be a number of stories of things we had due to his imagination and resoursefullness with materials and talents that crossed his path. (can anyone say enclosed back porch).
Unclewesty, over and out

4 Comments:

At 7:49 AM, Blogger Zipidee said...

Best part of 'Memberin out loud' is how it helps to clear up others Memryz. I'll post a pick of that car and us on FO.
And to respectfully correct you I was 5 you was 7.

 
At 12:41 PM, Blogger Zipidee said...

Dude! I can remember when you were 5! Granpa West died 9/29/54. I was 3 1/2 years old & I remember the visitation at his house in Lomax & the funeral. But I remember him alive. He was sitting in a chair on his porch with Uncle Raymond on his left. They would both raise their hooked hands (PK's right & Raymond's left)and shake them at us just to hear us squeal.
At the house for visitation we were all outside rollin down that Great Big (not) hill in front of his house and running around. Somehow Aunt Della snatched me up and said "Come on sugar you should kiss Grandpa good bye". My sceams shoulda brought Grandpa Back as she tried to cram me kickin into that coffin with that old dead man. Aunt Ev saved me. I still can't do open coffins.

 
At 1:27 PM, Blogger Zipidee said...

Looks like I get the prize for most comments in a row.

I saw this model at an antique car show in Montgomery years ago. A friend took me in his Pinto Wagon. They were almost the same size.

Bye the Bye my membrin, whether dates or events, are as subject to question as any by any. There was no intent to correct just joy to remember with.

 
At 4:45 PM, Blogger Mandapooh said...

The more people I get to know, the more resourceful my familiy gets in comparison. We're an exceptional crowd. Grandad would be proud of us.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home