Monday, February 02, 2009

I remember that!


I remember that! I remember that different! Start with the cotton pickin’. I remember it, meant to mention it earlier, put it off. I remember it being a whole gang of us and we got to pick behind the REAL cotton pickers. In other words, we were picking seconds. I don’t remember getting but a quarter and yes it was for all day. That’s one of my favorite stories “why I picked cotton by hand when I was a kid”. We couldn’t have been much over 4 ft. tall and those sacks had to be 8’long. There was no way we were getting our cotton even half way down that bag. My recollection is we made 4 cents a pound.
The GUNS! I remember this one different too. I don’t remember you being with us (doesn’t mean you weren’t) and I don’t remember cocking the gun, but it went off as we were climbing thru a fence on one of those berms. I don’t remember anything being said but I never had a gun in my hand around dad after that. Ever.
THE GUN! I don’t know if Fogged remembers this one. We were out past Maplesville at Grandmaw and Grandpa West’s house. I was small, I don’t remember how old. MawMaw and PawPaw were there with us. The men were out on the front porch talking and watching for traffic. Daddy had that old .22 for some reason. A bird, not several, a bird, landed on the telephone wire that ran in front of the house parallel to the road. It couldn’t have been 25 or 30 feet away. Guess what? Dad wanted to shoot the bird. No one objected. Bang! The telephone wire dropped to the ground. Telephones were not as common as they are now. The GUN went in the trunk and nothing else was said. The six families on the party line down the road had no idea why they had no phone.

2 Comments:

At 1:43 AM, Blogger Mandapooh said...

hehehehe!

 
At 10:09 AM, Blogger Leslie said...

Fabulous!!! :-D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home