Thursday, January 22, 2009

Free enterprise

OK, first, I understand that Sherwin Williams does not have that particular color in their color book. I only know that that is what it was called. Remember, this is from a bunch of guys who had not seen one since they were babys and would not see another one for many more years. (I knew I was going to regret saying that when I said it.)
As a teenager it was expected that I would have some kind of job of my own. With six kids in the house I had enough sense to know that there were just some things that Mom and Dad were not going to give me. I guess that this was where I learned my first lessons in entrepreneurship.
Living on base, we had access to the commissary. The commissary is the base grocery store. We were a good sized base with a large on base housing area. The commissary allowed high school aged boys to bag groceries for tips. I learned about customer service and getting paid for service rendered. I learned about the difference between a good attitude and a bad attitude and how your choice of which you had affected your pay. The summer before my freshman year of high school I got a job at the commissary and was able to buy all of my own clothes for the fall. That was HUGE for me. I bought white Levis, madras print shirts, a Pendleton jacket and Hush Puppy shoes. I didn’t have to ask for help from Dad. I didn’t get any of it from Sears. (that’s another story) I bought a Lambretta motor scooter that fall. I had freedom to roam. I rode to school most of the time instead of taking the bus. The next spring Dad helped me buy a lawnmower (I paid him back) and I started mowing lawns in addition to the commissary. Sometime after I turned 15 Dad found an old 1954 Ford Crown Victoria and we took it to the Hobby Shop and rebuilt the engine. I mean we took it down to parade rest and rebuilt everything. I wished I had paid more attention later. I have been a “tool hander” most of my adult life because I didn’t know what to fix, but I knew what the tools were. Now comes Dad’s resourcefulness. We painted that car with spray cans that dad got from the squadron. It had to be blue and grey because that was the color available. And so it was. I do not know if we have a picture of that car. I need to get with Mom and look for one. Before we left Pt. Mugu I also had a business cleaning houses for families that were moving. You had to leave the house in the same condition you got it in. I cleaned up after the family moved out and made sure it passed inspection by the housing director.

4 Comments:

At 5:45 PM, Blogger Mandapooh said...

I love these stories! I remember being excited when I was able to get my own clothes too.

 
At 6:58 AM, Blogger Zipidee said...

I remember grinding the valves on that engine. I also remember the front half of the roof being dark green glass. I think it was called a 'Moon Roof'
We, you me & Rob, left Pt. Mugu for Fountain Valley in that car. I was amazed at the time that Mom alowed that.

 
At 10:41 PM, Blogger unclewesty said...

I started to mention the moon roof but I was afraid that was too much information to digest at one time.
I never was sure that grunion were real. I never saw one.

 
At 1:27 PM, Blogger Ain't life GRAND said...

I don't remember the car or the grinding of those valves, but Dad helped me rebuild my "motorcycle"'s engine and I thought I would NEVER get the valves ground enough for his approval. (I realized years later that it was not just to his approval, but to what was actually needed, but as a teen I didn't realize that.)
My biggest memory of Fountain Valley is my "garden" (2 butterbean stalks, I believe) in the back yard and going outside to pick butterbeans and have them for diner the same night. Well that and watching "Cinderella" from my bedroom window @ the drive-in. Couldn't hear it, mind you, but we watched it from there.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home